As the South China Morning Post article says about HKUWHA, Hong Kong’s underwater hockey players are headed for new waters – specifically in Chengdu, China this 5/27-30 weekend at the 2nd Annual China Cup. It’s an exciting time for HKUWHA as we make our very first appearance as a team at an official tournament. We want to wish the warmest luck to our team members who are there this weekend: Darren Foo, Simon Lee, Roxy Liu, Isabel Parra, Liz Sullivan, Mark Sullivan, Flora Tang, and David Yip.
The SCMP isn’t the only media reporting about our team. In fact, the spring has been quite an exciting season full of media presence for Hong Kong’s only underwater hockey team:
- In addition to the article, SCMP also posted an awesome video about underwater hockey’s increasing popularity in Hong Kong.
- Fitz HK wrote up an awesome article comparing us to underwater Harry Potter (and let’s be real, any comparison to Harry Potter is pretty awesome).
- One of Hong Kong’s legendary sports reporters, Vince Ng (伍家謙), visited us at practice and posted subsequent video segments on his Facebook page that features our founder, Henry, and some of our team members. You can see a few other videos from him here and here.
- Hong Kong Shue Yan University also published an article about our team, giving an introduction to underwater hockey for those unfamiliar with the sport (which might be a lot of you – we understand).
This is only the beginning – through our Facebook page, Meetup group and regular summer practices (see below), we’re excited to see the team continue to grow. See below for upcoming practices and come join us when you’re free. See you in the water!
Make sure to sign up here for June practices at the Island School (20 Borett Road) so that we know you’re coming!
Wednesdays (7:30PM – 9:30PM): Meet at 7PM the taxi stand outside Admiralty Station MTR if you’re interested in sharing a taxi:
- Jun* – 1, 4 (Sat), 8, 15, 18 (Sat), 22 & 29 (Sat)
- Jul – 6, 13, 20 & 27
- Aug – 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31
- Sep – 7, 14, 21 & 28
- Oct – 5, 12, 19 & 26
*Please note Saturday practices will be held from 1:00PM – 3:00PM.